Roof Repair or Replacement | What to Choose?
In case you are not sure whether to repair your roof or replace it, read on, we will let you know what you need to do.
Following are a few important things to consider:
The Age and Roof Type:
It is vital for you to be aware of the age of your roof. You also need to be sure about the kind of roofing system that was used on your roof. If it’s Asphalt Shingle then on average, it can last up to more than two decades.
Estimation of the Expenditure:
Roof repairs could be very costly and at times may not be the permanent solution, especially when the roof is too long in the tooth. It may end up being more effective to calculate the costs of repairs versus roof replacement to ensure the best decision.
Type of Damage:
If you face multiple roof leaks, that is a good sign that the roof system is failing and you should consider replacing the roof. Most roof leaks will not occur on the open field it will appear on roof penetrations, such as roof vents, skylights, chimneys, exposed nails, all roof-related openings, and corners.
If it classifies as a skylight or chimney leak, it is not mandatory to replace the roof, as regular repairing may be sufficient in case the rest of the roof is in good condition.
- Other Major Types:
Another sign for roof failure is if there is substantial granules’ loss and the Fiberglass Matt is showing, or the shingle is deteriorating and falling apart then definitely it is recommended to replace the roof as costly repairs will not help in these cases.
The Repairing Process:
- The repairing process is finalized as per the areas from where the roof is leaking. If it is leaking around the skylight, then it is possible that the skylight itself needs to be replaced and the roof is in good condition. In that case, it may be a good idea to check first if the roof is walkable. If it is steep, it is recommended to call the local roofing company in your area.
- If the roof is leaking from around the chimney area, then there is a bright chance that the sealant around the top of the flashing is deteriorating, and simply resealing it will do the job. If the flashing gets loose and may need correction, it is a pretty simple process. If the access is difficult, we will recommend you to call qualified roofers near your area.
- Exposed nails are on most shingle roofs, and there is just no way to root them out completely. Sometimes the water starts tracing through the nails and causes the roof to leak. The best way to deal with this is to reseal them using a proper exterior sealant, after every 2 to 3 years depending on how long the sealant lasts and the area you are located. This could be done by the homeowner or roofing experts depending on the access and difficulties. If the owner feels comfortable climbing up to the roof as sometimes it could be slippery, dangerous, and unsafe to do it on your own. Roofing experts serve as the best option.
Significance of Cap Ridge:
Sometimes the roof ridge caps start to crack and fail before the shingle roof edge. In this case, the replacement of the ridge caps could be done with a quick fix and should not cost much if the remaining of the roof is in good condition.
Impacts of No Ventilation on the Roofing System:
Proper Roof Ventilation is mandatory in order to prolong the life of the roof. If there is poor attic ventilation, it could lead to roof leaks due to condensation and premature roof failure.
Proper attic ventilation should include the following:
- Removal of debris and insulation from the soffits.
- Depending on regulations in your area, about every 300 to 400 Square feet roof area should have one roof vent installed.